Best 2-in-1s 2018 (Laptop/Tablet Hybrids)
If you want a laptop with the most versatility, a 2-in-1 that either bends back or detaches to switch into tablet mode is your best choice. We've listed our favorite 2-in-1s below and here are three quick things you need to keep in mind when shopping.
- Bendback or Detachable?: Bendback 2-in-1s, which have screens that flip back 360 degrees, work far better in laptop mode and usually have greater endurance, a better keyboard and more ports. Detachable 2-in-1s, which have screens that pop off, provide a better best tablet experience.
- Screen Resolution: While some cheaper models will have 1366 x 768 resolutions, try to get at least a 1920 x 1080 display.
- Size: For the best balance between portability and usability, consider a 2-in-1 with a 12 or 13-inch display and a weight less than 3.5 pounds. Smaller laptops are great for kids while 15 and 17-inch models provide lots of real estate for drawing or media viewing.
News and Updates (July 2018)
- Microsoft unveiled the Surface Go, its $399 detachable 2-in-1. Here are five ways it beats the latest Apple iPad.
- The Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 is the first laptop that we've reviewed with Intel's Kaby Lake-G 8th Gen CPU.
- We recently reviewed the Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, Samsung's premium convertible. While we liked the active stylus, laptop's short battery life makes it a hard sell.